Wednesday, November 01, 2006

FEW HALLOWEENIES

Halloween passed with little fanfare at my house. We didn't dress up David because the trick or treating hours were so close to his bedtime. Plus, I didn't feel he would get much out of it. We're definitely taking him out next year. We only got a handful of trick treaters anyway after I bought bags and bags of candy...again this year. I was thinking we would get a lot of kids because I've seen so many in the neighborhood;but, many of them chose not to come to our house. You know, I should have known better from last year. In my mind, I was thinking different state..different neighborhood. Last year, we didn't get any halloweenies..I mean not one trick or treater showed up at my doorstep.
The holiday has changed so much since I was a kid. Nowadays, there are all of these mall and church events on Halloween. That's no fun! It breaks tradition. Neil and I were reminiscing last night over how when we were kids we would go trick or treating as soon as school let out. Costumes weren't all that elaborate either. We made our own. Sometimes that meant cutting out eyeholes to an old sheet and going as a ghost. Or, some kids just wore a paper bag over their head. I'm still trying to figure out the look my mom was going for in this costume when I was about 4 or 5. Was I a witch or a bag lady? The more I look at this picture I wonder if she was trying to make me a pilgrim. Who knows... Please don't laugh. Although, I'm sure you will.(Sorry the picture isn't so clear. It's old.)
I also remember not going trick or treating with my parents once I was 7 or 8 years old. We would roll deep with some of the older kids in our neighborhood. I mean there would be at least 10 or 15 of us traveling together. No one would dare bother us. Besides, everyone knew each other. We would pass on the word to fellow trick or treaters on who had the good and bad candy. I also remember there was this one lady who would stick a bag of candy outside her door with a sign, saying "TAKE ONE PIECE. HAPPY HALLOWEEN." Of course, no one ever did. We would stay out until at least 9 at night getting goodies. Those were the days. I so miss them.

2 comments:

Christie O. said...

aww oh my gosh how cute are you! i remember those days, going trick or treating without worrying about someone sticking something bad in the candy.. oh i miss those days.

Unknown said...

classic halloween photo. love it.

also like the slide.com presentation.