SLEEP DEPRIVED

I guess I thought my baby would be like the one in the Pampers commercials. You know, the one that's all snuggled up and falls asleep at the drop of a hat. My little one is far from that baby on the tv. David always has fought going to sleep at night. Now, it seems worse or maybe I'm just tired.
Lately, he fights naptime too. I look for the first signs of him being tired and try to put him down then.. That's usually when he gets really whiny and starts beating up all of his toys or he gets very clingy, wanting me to hold him way more than usual. I usually try and nurse him to sleep in hopes of me catching a few zzz's, too. Sometimes it works. Other times, he'll nurse for a sec and then get his second wind, doing wrestling stunts all over the bed. He'll twist, turn, and roll over, trying to take my boob with him. Once I get tired of the Steve Austin moves, I try singing and dancing him to sleep. That doesn't always work either. He'll slowly drift off and soon as I lay him down in the crib, his eyes will pop wide open again. Then, David will take a deep breath and start wailing at the top of his lungs. I've been so tired lately that I've resorted to the "cry it out" method a couple of times, but that was too painful. David will cry forever and ever and ever... He won't give in. Before long, I'm crying too as I start to feel like the bad mother. There are days I will get in the car and drive just to get him to take a nap, but then I don't get a break because I'm driving.
I've heard many parents say they're little ones are sleeping at least 10 hours straight at night. I used to think it was because they are formula fed, but I've heard of breastfed babies sleeping long stretches too, but not my David. He still wakes every three to four hours like clockwork... sometimes less like tonight as I type! Then, he gets his day started between 6:30&7:00am. Gone are the days of being able to just nap when I want to or sleep in to whenever on a weekend. Oh how I miss that...
These are the things people just don't tell you about, either that or I just wasn't paying attention. I guess the whole time I was thinking oh my child won't be like that...
Neil and I often joke about writing a book titled, "What You Can Really Expect The First Year: The Things People Just Don't Tell You." I'm sure it would be a bestseller, but it would probably scare a lot of people out of becoming parents. It would be a good birthcontrol method for teens at least..
Then, I think..probably not. They would think the same thing I thought, "Oh my child won't be like that." Maybe they won't... you just don't know! As Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you just don't know what you're gonna get." The same applies to babies. You just don't know what kind of personality he or she will have..

I guess I thought my baby would be like the one in the Pampers commercials. You know, the one that's all snuggled up and falls asleep at the drop of a hat. My little one is far from that baby on the tv. David always has fought going to sleep at night. Now, it seems worse or maybe I'm just tired.
Lately, he fights naptime too. I look for the first signs of him being tired and try to put him down then.. That's usually when he gets really whiny and starts beating up all of his toys or he gets very clingy, wanting me to hold him way more than usual. I usually try and nurse him to sleep in hopes of me catching a few zzz's, too. Sometimes it works. Other times, he'll nurse for a sec and then get his second wind, doing wrestling stunts all over the bed. He'll twist, turn, and roll over, trying to take my boob with him. Once I get tired of the Steve Austin moves, I try singing and dancing him to sleep. That doesn't always work either. He'll slowly drift off and soon as I lay him down in the crib, his eyes will pop wide open again. Then, David will take a deep breath and start wailing at the top of his lungs. I've been so tired lately that I've resorted to the "cry it out" method a couple of times, but that was too painful. David will cry forever and ever and ever... He won't give in. Before long, I'm crying too as I start to feel like the bad mother. There are days I will get in the car and drive just to get him to take a nap, but then I don't get a break because I'm driving.
I've heard many parents say they're little ones are sleeping at least 10 hours straight at night. I used to think it was because they are formula fed, but I've heard of breastfed babies sleeping long stretches too, but not my David. He still wakes every three to four hours like clockwork... sometimes less like tonight as I type! Then, he gets his day started between 6:30&7:00am. Gone are the days of being able to just nap when I want to or sleep in to whenever on a weekend. Oh how I miss that...
These are the things people just don't tell you about, either that or I just wasn't paying attention. I guess the whole time I was thinking oh my child won't be like that...
Neil and I often joke about writing a book titled, "What You Can Really Expect The First Year: The Things People Just Don't Tell You." I'm sure it would be a bestseller, but it would probably scare a lot of people out of becoming parents. It would be a good birthcontrol method for teens at least..
Then, I think..probably not. They would think the same thing I thought, "Oh my child won't be like that." Maybe they won't... you just don't know! As Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you just don't know what you're gonna get." The same applies to babies. You just don't know what kind of personality he or she will have..


No comments:
Post a Comment